How can I make my commute healthier for my heart?

A daily commute may provide an opportunity to exercise for heart health. Most people are aware that they can promote heart health by maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly. But many have difficulty finding time to exercise. If you live near your workplace, you may be able to walk or cycle to work a few times per week. If your commute is lengthy, perhaps you can drive partway to work and walk or cycle the remaining distance.
Ashesh B. Parikh, DO
Data has shown that if a commute is longer than 30 miles, a person is more likely to be obese, have a bigger waistline and be at a much higher risk for heart attacks and stroke. Part of the reason for that is the food you’re eating while you’re commuting. You may tend to stop by Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts and grab foods that are less healthy. Instead, pack a healthy snack like a fruit and vegetable smoothie for your morning commute into the office. It’ll be very filling due to the high fiber content, and it’s much healthier.

Continue Learning about Heart Health

Ask the Expert: Can a Low-Salt Diet Hurt Your Heart?
A low-salt diet has long been touted for lowering blood pressure and improving heart health. But one study from researchers at McMaster University and...
How can physical and emotional stress affect my heart health?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Strenuous physical exertion could certainly increase the demands of the heart muscle for oxygen ...
7 Things Sabotaging Your Heart Health
7 Things Sabotaging Your Heart Health7 Things Sabotaging Your Heart Health7 Things Sabotaging Your Heart Health7 Things Sabotaging Your Heart Health
Learn about some of the cardiovascular dangers that are less obvious.
Why Quitting Salt Is So Hard
Why Quitting Salt Is So Hard