How can boredom affect my heart?

We all have unexciting days sometimes. But, hey, having a boring day beats having a really bad one, right?

Not so fast. Seems that "ho hum" might be right up there with "woe is me" when it comes to the impact on your health. In a study, people who were most bored with their jobs had higher mortality rates at younger ages. Yikes. Time to spice things up with some boredom busters!

The study included a survey of more than 7,000 government workers in London in the 1980s, asking them how often they found themselves bored on the job. After a little more than 20 years had passed, the researchers checked back in with the participants and found that those who had been most bored with their jobs were more likely to have died in the interim. And the killer? More often than not, it was due to heart troubles.

Boredom itself wasn't the actual cause of death, but researchers noticed that the people who were most bored also exercised less and had worse overall health, leading the researchers to speculate that depression could be at play. So, combating boredom could also result in depression help. Feeling chronically uninterested in things can be a sign of depression, and depressed people are less likely to feel motivated to take care of themselves.

Continue Learning about Heart Health

Healthy-Heart Diet: Olive Oil Health Benefits Revealed
You already know that olive oil is chock-full of healthy fats. But here's another reason to cook with it: Olive oil might actually help "turn off" gen...
What is Lexiscan?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Lexiscan is a medicine that is used during a nuclear heart stress test to dilate, or open up, the ar...
8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health
8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health
Find out which yoga asanas help relieve stress, reduce hypertension and improve cholesterol for better cardiovascular health. Stepping onto the mat fo...
What Is the Role of Copper in my Body?
What Is the Role of Copper in my Body?