How are blocked arteries treated?

Blocked arteries are typically treated with medications. If you have angina, your healthcare provider will usually try to treat with medication, which is a conservative strategy. If the medications don't work, you may be advised to have balloon angioplasty or stenting with metal stents. The metal stents are coated with a drug to help reduce your risk for another blockage.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Medications and lifestyle changes are often enough to treat blocked arteries.

Catheters provide a surgery-free solution for blocked arteries. A catheter, instead of open heart surgery, is used to return blood flow back to a blocked artery.

Continue Learning about Heart Health

5 Foods for a Healthy Heart
5 Foods for a Healthy Heart
If you think eating a heart-healthy diet means bland, boring food, your taste buds are in for a shock. To help lower cholesterol, reduce high blood pr...
How can eating cheese help my heart?
We often think of cheese as that artery-clogging no-no on top of pizza. But a new study suggests...
8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health
8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health
Find out which yoga asanas help relieve stress, reduce hypertension and improve cholesterol for better cardiovascular health.
How Can I Lower My Cholesterol Levels?
How Can I Lower My Cholesterol Levels?