What factors affect circulation of blood in the heart?

Your heart and blood vessels make up your overall blood circulatory system. Your blood circulatory system is made up of four subsystems.

Arterial circulation

Arterial circulation is the part of your overall blood circulatory system that involves arteries, like the aorta and pulmonary arteries.

Arteries are blood vessels that carry blood away from your heart. Healthy arteries are strong and elastic. They become narrow between beats of the heart, and they help keep your blood pressure consistent. This helps blood circulate efficiently through your body.

Arteries branch into smaller blood vessels called arterioles. Arteries and arterioles have strong, flexible walls that allow them to adjust the amount and rate of blood flowing to various parts of your body.

Venous circulation

Venous circulation is the part of your overall blood circulatory system that involves veins, like the vena cava and pulmonary veins. Veins are blood vessels that carry blood to your heart.

Veins have thinner walls than arteries. Veins can widen as the amount of blood passing through them increases.

Capillary circulation

Capillary circulation is the part of your overall blood circulatory system where oxygen, nutrients, and waste pass between your blood and parts of your body.

Capillaries connect the arterial and venous circulatory subsystems. Capillaries are very small blood vessels.

The importance of capillaries lies in their very thin walls. Unlike arteries and veins, capillary walls are thin enough that oxygen and nutrients in your blood can pass through the walls to the parts of your body that need them to work normally.

Capillaries' thin walls also allow waste products like carbon dioxide to pass from your body's organs and tissues into the blood, where it's taken away to your lungs.

Pulmonary circulation

Pulmonary circulation is the movement of blood from the heart to the lungs and back to the heart again. Pulmonary circulation includes both arterial and venous circulation.

Blood without oxygen is pumped to the lungs from the heart (arterial circulation). Oxygen-rich blood moves from the lungs to the heart through the pulmonary veins (venous circulation).

This answer from the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute has been reviewed and/or edited by Dr. William D. Knopf.

Continue Learning about Heart Health

Help Out Your Heart With Yoga and Aerobics
What do LeBron James, Kevin Garnett and Kevin Love have in common? If you said they’re championship winning basketball players, you’d be right. But it...
Can a negative attitude affect heart health?
If you constantly complain, with no interest in finding a solution, or secretly enjoy throwing p...
This Is the #1 Diet for Your Heart
This Is the #1 Diet for Your HeartThis Is the #1 Diet for Your HeartThis Is the #1 Diet for Your HeartThis Is the #1 Diet for Your Heart
Ornish Lifestyle Medicine is a science-backed way to reverse heart disease—and makes it easy for you to eat healthy.
What Can I Eat When I'm on a Detox Diet?