Who is most at risk for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction?

Dr. Boris Arbit, MD
Internist

Those most at risk for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction include people with hypertension, according to a very insightful analysis of people with heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Having hypertension increased the chance of developing heart failure with preserved ejection fraction by over twofold. Simply being a woman increased the risk of developing heart failure with a preserved ejection fraction over 2.5 times.

What was interesting in this analysis is that people with coronary artery disease are not the people who will ultimately go on to develop heart failure with preserved ejection fraction or are significantly less likely to do so.

Continue Learning about Heart Failure

Living Your Best Life With Congestive Heart Failure
In this video, Ed shares the important lifestyle changes he's made after his diagnosis, from paying attention to food labels, to getting more active, ...
Why should I weigh myself daily if I have heart failure?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
A sudden weight gain is one sign that the kidneys are holding salt and water in your body. To check ...
Are You at Risk for Heart Failure?
Are You at Risk for Heart Failure?Are You at Risk for Heart Failure?Are You at Risk for Heart Failure?Are You at Risk for Heart Failure?
6 factors—like weight and certain meds—that could up your risk.
Can We Grow a Heart from Stem Cells?
Can We Grow a Heart from Stem Cells?