What should I know before taking sacubitril and valsartan?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have had angioedema related to taking an ACE inhibitor or ARB, you should not take sacubitril and valsartan.

If you have severe liver function impairment, sacubitril and valsartan can lead to side effects and should be avoided.

The combination of these drugs is not recommended if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant. The health of your baby may be at risk if you take sacubitril and valsartan.

If you are breastfeeding, sacubitril and valsartan may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Heart Failure Treatment

What should I know before taking ivabradine?
Before you start this treatment, your doctor will need to check your heart rate and look for heart r...
What is the Batista surgical procedure for heart failure?
Linda RohyansLinda Rohyans
Heart failure develops when the heart becomes enlarged and weakened; the heart is not able to pump e...
How do I prepare for a cardioversion?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Here's how you can prepare for cardioversion:Take anticoagulant medication if your doctor prescrib...
What Are the Treatment Options for Heart Failure?