Can heart failure mimic the symptoms of severe lung disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Shortness of breath is a common symptom for both heart failure and severe lung disease. Severe lung disease can also lead to heart failure especially of the right lower chamber of the heart. Heart failure tends to cause swelling of the feet and ankles where lung disease does not. If a patient has both lung and heart failure, weighing daily can help the patient determine if increased shortness of breath is due to their lungs or heart. If their weight goes up 5 lbs. in a week, it is most likely the heart failure that is acting up. 

Continue Learning about Heart Failure Symptoms

What should I watch out for when monitoring my heart failure?
Linda RohyansLinda Rohyans
If you are monitoring your heart failure, then you are aware of the importance of self-care manage...
What are the symptoms of heart failure?
The body’s tendency to hold onto salt and water cause most of the signs and symptoms. These signs an...
What are symptoms of diastolic dysfunction?
Richard J. Shemin, MDRichard J. Shemin, MD
Diastolic dysfunction is when the left ventricle is very thick or the cavity cannot relax to easily ...
What Is Congestion in Congestive Heart Failure?