Why is it important to identify my risk factors for heart disease early?

Risk factors for heart disease include:

• aging
  • high blood pressure
  • high cholesterol
  • tobacco use
  • lack of physical activity
  • family history of heart disease

Throughout adulthood, these things increase your risk for heart disease. It’s important to identify them early in life so you can make changes to reduce your chances of getting heart disease.

In young adults, however, it’s likely that heart disease is strongly linked to genetics factors, which are obviously harder to change.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

It is important to identify your risk factors for heart disease early so that it may be treated or improved with diet and exercise before you have a heart attack that may potentially end your life.  It is also important because if you try to eliminate your risk factors, it may save you from a lifetime of having to take mutliple medications.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Smog May Harm Your Heart
Smog May Harm Your Heart
Do you take care of your heart by watching your cholesterol and blood pressure? Great! But maybe you should watch the sky, too: One study says high le...
How does the risk for heart disease differ between men and women?
Dr. Grant Cooper, MDDr. Grant Cooper, MD
One of the biggest myths is that women don't get heart disease. Heart disease is a major killer of m...
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Women may not recognize these other symptoms as signs of a heart attack.
How Can I Help Prevent Heart Disease?
How Can I Help Prevent Heart Disease?