What does watchful waiting (WW) for aortic stenosis require?

The watchful waiting (WW) for aortic stenosis strategy requires that people recognize and promptly report any symptoms, and return to the hospital for a follow-up echocardiogram. The onset of symptoms often can be subtle, and people may attribute important changes to old age without notifying their doctors. They need to know the symptoms and report them to the heart team right away. Also, if people fail to follow up with recommended imaging, progression of stenosis and features of heart failure can be missed. People with asymptomatic severe aortic stenosis need to maintain close follow-up with their heart team and have a discussion about all of the available treatment options.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Surprising Signs Your Heart Health Is at Risk
The image is a familiar one—a man hunched over, clutching his chest in pain. It’s the universal symbol for a heart attack. This chest pain, along with...
Can surgery help the emotional side effects of mitral regurgitation?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
People with severe mitral regurgitation (MR) often experience emotional side effects such as depress...
7 Drug-Free Ways To Treat Heart Disease
7 Drug-Free Ways To Treat Heart Disease7 Drug-Free Ways To Treat Heart Disease7 Drug-Free Ways To Treat Heart Disease7 Drug-Free Ways To Treat Heart Disease
Medication isn't the only way to get your heart healthy again.
How Can I Prevent Heart Disease?
How Can I Prevent Heart Disease?