What is the most common form of heart disease?

The most common form of heart disease is coronary artery disease, sometimes referred to as coronary heart disease. It is the number one cause of death among both men and women in the United States.

This content originally appeared online in "The Patient Guide to Heart, Lung, and Esophageal Surgery" from the Society of Thoracic Surgery.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

It’s Never Too Late to Get Heart Healthier
If you think you can’t can turn your life around and become heart healthier because, “It’s just too late,” consider this: Navy surgeon Paul Spangler t...
How common is heart disease?
Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States and is a major cause of disability....
The Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart Disease
The Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart DiseaseThe Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart DiseaseThe Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart DiseaseThe Ultimate Guide to Reversing Heart Disease
Stop the leading cause of death in its tracks with simple lifestyle changes.
As a Mom, How Can I Find Time to Exercise?