What causes heart abnormalities?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Causes vary among different types of heart abnormalities. In coronary artery disease, the most common heart abnormality, the heart does not receive enough blood due to blockage of the coronary arteries. Other heart abnormalities that are results of arterial problems include aneurysms (enlargement of one part of the heart) and dissections (a tear in the heart). Some heart abnormalities, such as heart valve disorders, are due to defects in the structure and function of the heart itself. Often these defects are congenital, or present from birth.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Jimmy Kimmel Opens Up About Newborn Son’s Congenital Heart Defect
Jimmy Kimmel tearfully revealed that his newborn son was born with a congenital heart defect that required open-heart surgery. During his opening mon...
What should I do if I have a family history of heart disease?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Family history of heart disease is an important risk factor for developing the condition. Family his...
6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart
6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart
Heart disease is a leading killer of women. Tracking these numbers could potentially save your life. In years past, it was commonly assumed that heart...
Is Stress Linked to Heart Disease?
Is Stress Linked to Heart Disease?