What questions might I ask my doctor about my heart and sexual activity?

If you have heart disease, the following questions can help you talk to your physician about your sexual activity concerns. Print out or write down these questions and take them with you to your appointment. Taking notes can help you remember your physician’s response when you get home.

• Will I be able to engage in sexual activity again? If so, when?
  • Is one type of sexual activity safer than another?
  • Will having sex make me have a heart attack?
  • What symptoms will I have if sexual activity is putting too much strain on my heart?
  • What should I do if I have chest pain during sex?
  • Are any of my current medications affecting my sex life?
  • Could erectile dysfunction medications help me? Are there any drug interactions with my current medications?
  • Will my heart disease get in the way of a pregnancy?

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Why You Should Ask Your Doc to Reevaluate Your Risk for Heart Disease
The Cleveland Clinic’s 232-page Diversity Tool Kit is a modern, global guide, from “A” Aboriginal People to “Z” Zoroastrian, for healthcare providers ...
What is the difference between heart attack and heart failure?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Heart attack means there is damage to the heart muscle, while heart failure describes a weakened hea...
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Women may not recognize these other symptoms as signs of a heart attack.
Heart Disease In the United States
Heart Disease In the United States