Should I talk to my doctor about my valvular heart disease symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you have valvular heart disease symptoms such as shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia), or chest pain, you should go to the emergency room. As well, if you are a current patient with valvular heart disease, you should report any change in your symptoms to your doctor. For example, if you have new swelling or feel more tired than usual, alert your doctor. You should also let your doctor know immediately if you have symptoms of infective endocarditis, which is a serious condition; you may feel tired, have trouble breathing, have a fever and chills, have night sweats, develop swelling around your ankles, and have achy muscles.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Is This Condiment Hurting Your Heart?
Is This Condiment Hurting Your Heart?
Salt—more specifically, sodium—is found in every food from A (anchovies) to Z (ziti). It’s essential for your body, especially your heart, but too muc...
When is an aortic dissection considered acute?
Murray H. Kwon, MDMurray H. Kwon, MD
An aortic dissection -- a tear that creates a separation of the layers of the aorta, which carries b...
6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease
6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease6 Unexpected Effects of Heart Disease
This common disease can hurt much more than your physical health. Heart disease is so much more than a physical condition—it can interfere with your p...
Why Is It Taking So Long to Reform the U.S. Healthcare System?