How do medications treat cardiomyopathy?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you have cardiomyopathy, you may need to take several medications to control symptoms and prevent your condition from worsening. Your doctor will likely prescribe ACE inhibitors to facilitate blood flow, beta-blockers to lower your heart rate, and diuretics to reduce swelling and keep fluid from building up in your lungs. You may also need to take anticoagulants, which reduce the risk of blood clots.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Don't Sweat It: Exercise Doesn't Have to Be Hard
In truth, your heart is so fond of exercise that it almost doesn't matter how hard, how long, or how often you do it—as long as you do it! Simply doin...
What should I do if I have a family history of heart disease?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
Family history of heart disease is an important risk factor for developing the condition. Family his...
6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart
6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart
Heart disease is a leading killer of women. Tracking these numbers could potentially save your life. In years past, it was commonly assumed that heart...
What Problems Do You Face in Treating Patients with Heart Disease?