How common is cardiovascular infection?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Cardiovascular infection is not common. It occurs most frequently in people who have bacterial infections, congenital heart defects, or artificial heart valves, or in people who use illegal drugs and unsterilized needles. Age plays a part because the heart becomes more susceptible to disease as it ages. It is most common among people over 60, who account for one fourth of all cases.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Heart-Healthy Treatments for Coronary Artery Disease
Coronary artery disease (otherwise known as CAD) is the most common type of heart disease in the United States and the leading cause of death among Am...
Who should be screened for aortic dissection?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
People with a family history of aortic dissection should be screened for it. They are important cand...
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Women may not recognize these other symptoms as signs of a heart attack. You might think of a heart attack as a “man’s problem,” but more than 53,000 ...
As a Mom, How Can I Find Time to Exercise?