Heart Disease

How should I change my diet if I have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy?

• A Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered on behalf of
    Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (an abnormal increased thickness of the heart muscle) does not prevent you from developing other types of heart disease. Therefore, it is recommended you eat a well-balanced diet low in fat and cholesterol. Monitoring your cholesterol levels will be managed by your health care team. Try to maintain a healthy weight, because extra weight makes your heart work harder. However, you should not take diet pills, because they contain stimulants that could be harmful to your heart.

It is recommended that most patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy drink one ounce of fluid for each kilogram that they weigh per day. You can calculate your weight in kilograms by dividing your weight in pounds by 2.2.

Caffeinated beverages should be avoided, because they stimulate your heart and can result in irregular heart rhythms. Also, you should ask your health care provider if it is safe for you to drink alcohol as this, too, can cause irregularities in your heart rhythm and worsen your symptoms.
    Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
How will hypertrophic cardiomyopathy affect my daily life?