Heart Disease

How can aortic stenosis affect my daily life?

• ADr. Abdul Tajik, MD, Cardiology (Cardiovascular Disease), answered on behalf of Aurora Health Care
    Aortic stenosis (narrowing of the aortic valve opening) can affect daily life in a variety of ways.

Regular physical activity done in moderation is safe and encouraged for your cardiovascular health. Biking and walking are good aerobic exercises. You should pay close attention to how you are feeling while exercising, and notify your health care provider if you experience dizziness, palpitations, shortness of breath or chest pain.

Competitive sports and more strenuous activities may be safe, but are dependent on the degree of aortic stenosis. If you wish to participate in these activities, you should discuss this with your health care provider to determine if it would be safe for you.

Aortic stenosis does not prevent you from developing other types of heart disease. Therefore, it is recommended you eat a well-balanced diet low in fat and cholesterol.

Other personal habits that may be affected by aortic stenosis include:
    • Do not smoke tobacco or use any products containing tobacco.
    • Schedule regular medical evaluations with your health care team.
    • Maintain good dental hygiene by brushing and flossing your teeth regularly, and visit the dentist every six months.
    • Do not use any street drugs, like marijuana, cocaine or methamphetamine, because these drugs can have dangerous effects on your heart.
    • Do not take nonprescription cold medication without talking to your health care provider.

What can happen if I do nothing for my aortic stenosis?