Does quitting smoking reduce my risk of heart disease?

The good news is that quitting dramatically cuts the risk to your heart, even during the first year, no matter what your age or how long you've been smoking. Even if you've had a heart attack, you'll benefit from quitting; estimates suggest that a woman's risk of having a second heart attack is cut by 50% or more after she stops smoking. Recent American Heart Association guidelines recommend counseling, nicotine replacement and other forms of therapy to help you stop smoking.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

what is sudden cardiac arrest ?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Sudden cardiac arrest occurs when the heart suddenly stops beating normally because of abnormal elec...
how can infants with heart disease receive enough nourishment ?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
When a baby is born with a heart defect, it is called congenital heart disease. One of the primary g...
how does my doctor screen me for heart disease ?
Your doctor can screen you for heart disease with the following steps: asking questions to see if...
what are the symptoms of congestive heart failure ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
There are many symptoms of congestive heart failure: The most common symptom is shortness of brea...