Can I lower my risk of heart disease if I start exercising when I'm older?

In general, it is never too late to start exercising. However, you should be careful not to overdo it, especially if you are older and have not been exercising regularly for a long time. Talk to your doctor before starting a new workout to make sure it's okay. You want to make sure there are no health or safety concerns. Your doctor can assess your specific situation and give you advice about how, or whether, to proceed.
Even if you start working out later in life, you can reap the benefits of heart-healthy exercise. Scientists found that men who begin exercising after 40 get similar long-term advantages from exercise’s ability to lower the risk of heart disease as men who begin training much younger. Men who train with more intensity get greater heart-health benefits, so train like you mean it.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

Your Action Plan to Prevent Diabetic Heart Disease
In this video, Dr. Oz explains why diabetes puts you at an increased risk for heart disease, and outlines important steps to improve your overall heal...
What is percutaneous aortic valve replacement?
Mark J. Russo, MDMark J. Russo, MD
Transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI), also known as transcatheter aortic valve replacement...
6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart
6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart6 Numbers a Woman Must Know to Protect Her Heart
Heart disease is a leading killer of women. Tracking these numbers could potentially save your life.
How Does a Coronary Calcium Scan Work?
How Does a Coronary Calcium Scan Work?