How can I identify genetic hot spots for CAD health and screening?

A number of studies have shown that approximately half of the risk for development of heart disease is genetic or inherited and the other half is environmental. The interaction of the genetic susceptibility or predisposition interacts with the environmental factors such as our diet, smoking, exercise habits, etc. and those interactions will determine whether or not we will develop heart disease. There are now a number of genetic variants that we can identify today that have been approved for clinical testing. Some of these genetic markers provide additional information beyond the traditional risk factors and some other genetic variants can predict an individual's response to a certain number of medications. Several of these genetic tests are now clinically available and can be tested through physician's offices.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease

What Are High Triglycerides?
What Are High Triglycerides?
Triglycerides are a type of fat found in the blood. In this video, Dr. Oz explains how your body accumulates triglycerides and why having higher than ...
When is an aortic dissection considered acute?
Murray H. Kwon, MDMurray H. Kwon, MD
An aortic dissection -- a tear that creates a separation of the layers of the aorta, which carries b...
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Top 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in WomenTop 4 Heart Attack Signs in Women
Women may not recognize these other symptoms as signs of a heart attack. You might think of a heart attack as a “man’s problem,” but more than 53,000 ...
How Can I Prevent Heart Disease?
How Can I Prevent Heart Disease?