What should I expect during phase II outpatient cardiac rehabilitation?

Francis X. Downey, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Your initial visit to phase II outpatient cardiac rehabilitation will be a one-on-one meeting with a cardiac rehabilitation clinician to orient you to the program. It will include your first exercise session. This visit will last approximately one hour and a half90 minutes. After this initial visit, you will attend a group session three days per week lasting up to one hour in length, for up to 36 sessions, depending on your progress. Each session consists of warm-up exercises, aerobic conditioning, cool-down exercises, and weight training. Your blood pressure and heart rate are monitored throughout each session.

Education and counseling focuses on modifying your cardiac risk factors. Areas covered are nutrition, weight loss, stress management, smoking cessation, and exercise. Group education classes are conveniently held on the same days as your cardiac rehabilitation sessions. In addition, your cardiac rehabilitation clinician will provide you with individualized education to meet your needs.
During phase II outpatient cardiac rehabilitation you will participate in telemetry monitored exercise programs under the supervision of qualified medical professionals combined with dietary therapy to help the body improve from a cardiac injury such as a heart attack, angina, or blood clot. As your health and fitness increase the intensity of your workouts will increase with the goal of returning the body to a level of fitness to meet the demands of most activities of daily life.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

What Is the Most Beneficial Kind of Exercise to Reverse Heart Disease?
Take 30 minutes each day Can you spare 30 minutes a day to improve your heart health? Walking for just 30 minutes a day, or for 60 minutes every oth...
Who should I see besides my doctors for my heart disease?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
In addition to a primary care doctor, the following professionals might be involved in caring fo...
What is blood vessel disease, and how can I find and treat it?
Healthy HumansHealthy Humans
The simplest test to identify carotid artery disease is a carotid doppler. This is an ultrasound tes...
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol