What is electrical cardioversion?

Electrical cardioversion is a treatment for atrial fibrillation. Although cardioversion often results in a normal rhythm, this may be only temporary. For this procedure, a patient receives a short-acting anesthesia, then an electrical shock on the chest wall to return the heartbeat to normal.
Imran K. Niazi, MD
Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
Electrical cardioversion is a controlled jolt of electricity (shock) delivered to the heart through the chest wall by adhesive patch electrodes or metal paddles. The shock stops all electrical activity in the heart for an instant and this allows the normal heart rhythm to take over. Electrical cardioversion may be used to restore normal heart rhythm if you have atrial fibrillation (AF).

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Treatment
Treatment for heart disease is determined by the specific cause. In this video, Kevin Soden, MD, reveals common treatment options for heart disease, i...
How has heart disease treatment improved?
SCAISCAI
If you have not kept up to date with changes in the field of cardiovascular care, you might think of...
If medications aren't treating my heart disease, what are my options?
Mary A. McLaughlin, MDMary A. McLaughlin, MD
If drugs for heart disease aren't working, a procedure may be necessary to prevent further complicat...
Sneak Peek: Biggest Medical Breakthroughs