What does a coronary bypass involve?

When a surgeon performs a coronary bypass, he or she uses a vein from your leg or chest and then grafts one end to the aorta and the other to the blocked artery, below the blockage. The blood then is rerouted, bypassing the clogged artery.

A bypass is necessary when an angioplasty will not work.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

What Is the Most Beneficial Kind of Exercise to Reverse Heart Disease?
Take 30 minutes each day Can you spare 30 minutes a day to improve your heart health? Walking for just 30 minutes a day, or for 60 minutes every oth...
How do medications treat heart abnormalities?
Beta blockers, ACE inhibitors, diuretics, and blood thinners are commonly prescribed medications for...
Will I need a stent if I have a blocked artery?
Blake Medical CenterBlake Medical Center
Patients don't necessarily need a stent if they have a blockage because there are other treatment op...
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol