What might I ask my doctor about nonsurgical aortic valve replacement?

In November 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a new treatment for heart patients with severe aortic valve stenosis who are not good candidates for open-heart valve replacement surgery. This new procedure, called transcatheter valve replacement (TAVR), replaces the diseased aortic valve through a tube that is placed in the patient’s leg, or through an incision in the chest that is much smaller than traditional surgery.

As part of a conversation with your physician about the possible benefits and complications of TAVR, you might consider asking the following questions:

• How will percutaneous aortic valve replacement benefit me? Will I live longer? Will I feel better?
  • What personal risk factors and potential benefits should I consider when making this decision?
  • Is this new treatment safe? What are the risks?
  • Where can I learn more about the procedure?
  • Should I wait until more people have the procedure or other new devices become available?
  • Can I receive this treatment at a local hospital or do I need to travel? Who would perform the procedure?
  • Have other people had this procedure? What are the odds that I will survive?
  • What will happen if I don’t have this procedure?
  • How can I find a doctor with the expertise and experience to do this procedure?
  • How many times has my cardiologist performed the procedure? What is his or her success rate?

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Is High-Intensity, Interval Exercise Safe for Heart Patients?
For the last several decades, cardiologists and exercise physiologists have recommended regular aerobic exercise to improve cardiac function and lower...
What is hemorrhagic shock?
Hemorrhagic shock is a condition in which the heart cannot pump enough blood to supply the body. It ...
Who benefits from a ventricular assist device?
Richard J. Shemin, MDRichard J. Shemin, MD
Patients that progress to severe heart failure that can no longer be managed with diuretics and othe...
What Types of Heart Diseases are Treated with Surgery?