What happens before heart valve repair surgery?

Heart valve repair or replacement surgery is a treatment option for valvular heart disease. (When heart valves become damaged or diseased, they may not function properly). Before a heart valve repair procedure:
  • Your physician will explain the procedure to you and offer you the opportunity to ask any questions that you might have about the procedure.
  • You will be asked to sign a consent form that gives your permission to do the test. Read the form carefully and ask questions if something is not clear.
  • In addition to a complete medical history, your physician may perform a complete physical examination to ensure you are in good health before undergoing the procedure. You may undergo blood tests or other diagnostic tests.
  • You will be asked to fast for eight hours before the procedure, generally after midnight.
  • If you are pregnant or suspect that you are pregnant, you should notify your physician.
  • Notify your physician if you are sensitive to or are allergic to any medications, iodine, latex, tape, or anesthetic agents (local and general).
  • Notify your physician of all medications (prescription and over-the-counter) and herbal supplements that you are taking.
  • Notify your physician if you have a history of bleeding disorders or if you are taking any anticoagulant (blood-thinning) medications, aspirin, or other medications that affect blood clotting. It may be necessary for you to stop some of these medications prior to the procedure.
  • Your physician may request a blood test prior to the procedure to determine how long it takes your blood to clot.
  • Notify your physician if you have a pacemaker.
  • If you smoke, you should stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the procedure. This may improve your chances for a successful recovery from surgery and benefit your overall health status.
Based upon your medical condition, your physician may request other specific preparation.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Treatment
Treatment for heart disease is determined by the specific cause. In this video, Kevin Soden, MD, reveals common treatment options for heart disease, i...
If I have cardiovascular disease, will I need to be less active?
Whether or not you will any physical limitations depends on the severity and seriousness of your con...
What do cardiothoracic surgeons do?
CTSurgeryPatients.orgCTSurgeryPatients.org
Cardiothoracic surgeons operate on diseases that occur in the organs inside the chest and in the bon...
What Should I Discuss With My Doctor About My Heart Medications?