What are the treatment options for ischemic heart disease?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Treatment options for ischemic heart disease involve medications, surgery, and lifestyle changes. You may need drugs to decrease cholesterol and blood pressure, to thin the blood, and to open and relax your arteries to allow for more blood flow. You may need to undergo procedures like heart bypass or angioplasty to physically restore blood flow to the heart. You must make lifestyle changes by eating healthy foods, exercising regularly, quitting smoking, reducing stress and losing weight. Your doctor will consider all of your risk factors to help you determine which tests will best work for your situation.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

What Is the Most Beneficial Kind of Exercise to Reverse Heart Disease?
Take 30 minutes each day Can you spare 30 minutes a day to improve your heart health? Walking for just 30 minutes a day, or for 60 minutes every oth...
How does a surgeon operate on a beating heart?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When a surgeon performs a procedure on a beating heart, he or she uses an octopus suction stabilizat...
How do I prepare for an electrophysiology (EP) study?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Regardless of whether you will be having an EP study or a cardiac ablation procedure, here are s...
What Should I Discuss With My Doctor About My Heart Medications?