How does medication fit in with cardiovascular disease treatment?

As a cardiovascular patient, you will find that your treatment will be a continuum, or spectrum, of care. Your treatment can be thought of as a continuum because you and your healthcare providers will work together over time using a range of treatment options. This means that your doctor will assess your level of disease and start treatment that could include any of the following:

- lifestyle changes
- medical therapy (medication)
- interventional procedures (angioplasty, stenting)
- surgery (bypass surgery, heart valve replacement)

Medical therapy will be a part of your treatment - whether you are at significant risk of disease; have had a heart attack, stroke, or other cardiovascular event; or have undergone procedures such as angioplasty, stenting, or bypass surgery. Medical therapy is used for patients who fall into two groups:

- Primary prevention: Initiation of medical therapy with the goal of preventing the onset of cardiac disease (for example, starting a cholesterol medicine before any diagnosis of build-up in the arteries of a fatty substance called plaque)
- Secondary prevention: Medicines started with the goal of limiting the progression of heart disease or for healing to reduce symptoms (for example, starting a beta blocker drug for a patient who has had a heart attack)

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Is High-Intensity, Interval Exercise Safe for Heart Patients?
For the last several decades, cardiologists and exercise physiologists have recommended regular aerobic exercise to improve cardiac function and lower...
Can my overall health affect my choice of heart treatment?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Your doctor will consider your overall health when recommending a procedure to treat blockages of th...
What should I expect at my first visit to a cardiologist?
SCAISCAI
When you go to a cardiologist for the first time, as with any physician, there are things you can do...
Sneak Peek: Biggest Medical Breakthroughs