How do medications treat ischemic heart disease?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Several medications are available to treat ischemic heart disease. Some drugs, like aspirin, thin the blood to allow for less obstruction of the arteries. Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors and beta blockers reduce blood pressure, nitroglycerin opens the arteries, and a range of medicines change the balance of good and bad cholesterol in the blood stream.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

how do doctors decide to recommend medication or angioplasty and stenting ?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Angioplasty is the proven standard of care for stopping a heart attack in progress. But what about n...
what questions should i ask my heart specialist ?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Here are six questions you should ask your heart specialist: What are my options for treating my...
what is the treatment for transposition of the great arteries ?
SCAISCAI
A baby with transposition of the great arteries has mixed-up circulation, and as a result, does not ...
what is the courage trial ?
SCAISCAI
The COURAGE trial is a large study that made a big splash in 2007 when its results were announced at...