How is event monitoring performed?

You will be fitted with an event recorder at your cardiologist’s office and given instructions on how and when to transmit data from the recorder. When you are experiencing cardiac symptoms, you press a button on the device to begin recording data from the heart’s electrical activity. The electrodes on the event monitor detect the heart’s electrical activity and transmit this information through the leads to the monitor. Some event monitors are able to detect abnormal heart rhythms and begin recording automatically.

You will be asked by your cardiologist to periodically call a phone number to transmit data from your event recorder.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Treatment
Treatment for heart disease is determined by the specific cause. In this video, Kevin Soden, MD, reveals common treatment options for heart disease, i...
What specialist deals with your heart?
Indrajit Choudhuri, MDIndrajit Choudhuri, MD
Several specialists deal with your heart - cardiologists, heart failure specialists, electrophysiolo...
Why do I need medication if my artery blockage was fixed with a stent?
SCAISCAI
If you were diagnosed with having one or more blockages in the coronary arteries, you may have under...
What Types of Heart Diseases are Treated with Surgery?