Can my overall health affect my choice of heart treatment?

Your doctor will consider your overall health when recommending a procedure to treat blockages of the heart. For some people, especially if they are older or weakened by another condition (such as heart valve problems), the risks of open-heart surgery outweigh the benefits of the procedure. Ask your doctor to explain the benefits and risks -- for you, specifically -- with each of your options.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

What Is the Most Beneficial Kind of Exercise to Reverse Heart Disease?
Take 30 minutes each day Can you spare 30 minutes a day to improve your heart health? Walking for just 30 minutes a day, or for 60 minutes every oth...
How can stem cell research help people with heart problems?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Stem cells have amazing potential to treat a diverse range of heart conditions. A Scripps clinical t...
What is a ventricular assist device (VAD)?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
The heart's job is to pump blood through the body. Sometimes the heart becomes damaged or weakened a...
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol
A New Drug to Fight Bad Cholesterol