Are there other treatments in addition to medication?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

After a heart attack there are other treatments in addition to medication that can help you recover. Like all muscles, the heart benefits from exercise. Cardiac rehabilitation can help your heart become strong again through controlled exercises and supervision of daily activities. During cardiac rehab, you are part of a team of specialists and care providers that may include doctors, family members, exercise specialists, nutritionists, occupational therapists, and mental health specialists. This team of people will help you both exercise and plan a new type of lifestyle that will discourage another heart attack.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Treatment

What types of heart diseases are treated with surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
The following types of heart diseases can be treated with surgery: Coronary Artery Disease -- Coro...
What is a ventricular assist device (VAD)?
Deb CordesDeb Cordes
The heart's job is to pump blood through the body. Sometimes the heart becomes damaged or weakened a...
What does the data say about mitral valve repair durability?
David H. Adams, MDDavid H. Adams, MD
The durability of a mitral repair depends partly on the problem that led to the regurgitation and pa...
What healthcare professionals can help me manage my cardiovascular disease?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Both in the hospital and out, many different healthcare providers may be involved in your cardio...