When does hemorrhagic shock result in death?

Death occurs when bleeding is not stopped by clotting or applying pressure over the vessel causing the bleeding. Arterial bleeding is often responsible for death since such bleeding is often a significant amount over a short period of time. Shock occurs when the person is not able to maintain blood pressure. This occurs due to the bleeding and volume deficiency. The heart is pumping but the blood is not perfusing the tissues since blood pressure is too low. In this instance, shock will result in death within a short period of time.

Hemorrhagic shock, left untreated, can cause death at three different points in its development. First, in the case of severe bleeding, death can occur very soon after the initial injury or internal hemorrhage. Second, deaths can occur within the next few hours due to the gradual failure of the body's tissues. Third, death can occur days later due to organ failure or infection. Even the process of restoring oxygen to the body?s tissues can prove damaging on this timescale.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Symptoms

Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Symptoms
Ask the Experts: Heart Disease Symptoms
Heart disease is the leading killer of Americans, but it can be prevented. The first step in prevention is knowing the signs. In the video, Robin Mill...
Should I talk to my doctor about my coronary heart disease symptoms?
Coronary heart disease is a serious condition that can lead to heart attack and heart failure. But b...
Is Kawasaki Disease contagious?
Kawasaki disease is a rare disease of childhood, principally affecting those younger than five years...
Can Your Eyes Reveal Heart Problems?
Can Your Eyes Reveal Heart Problems?