What is tachycardia?

Tachycardia is defined by a heart rate over 100 beats per minute. There are three major types of tachycardia:
  • Atrial tachycardia (starting in the atria)
  • Supraventricular tachycardia (starting above the ventricles)
  • Ventricular tachycardia (starting in the ventricles)
Bijoy K. Khandheria, MD

Tachycardia is when a person’s heart rate accelerates, or is faster than normal.

Tachycardia can be benign, called sinus tachycardia. It can be in response to fever, low hemoglobin level, anxiety or excessive caffeine intake.

Other kinds of tachycardia occur when the electrical system of the heart has some problems.

Tachycardia is a heart-rhythm disturbance, or arrhythmia. An electrical signal in the heart causes a contraction of the heart muscle, which not only pumps blood but creates your heartbeat. A problem along this electrical pathway causes an abnormal heartbeat. Tachycardia refers to the heart beating too fast, more than 100 beats per minute.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Symptoms

What Fainting Says About Your Heart
What Fainting Says About Your Heart
Odds are, you know someone who has fainted—or maybe you’ve passed out yourself. Often referred to by its medical name, syncope, fainting is a loss of ...
Should I see my doctor if I have cold feet?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If you notice that your feet are colder than usual, visit your doctor to determine whether it's ...
How does hemorrhagic shock affect the body's tissue?
The circulatory system uses blood to move oxygen through the body. The oxygen plays a crucial role i...
What Are Some Signs of Heart Disease in Women?