Why are infected teeth removed before cardiac surgery?

Dental extraction of abscessed or infected teeth is often performed to decrease the risk of infection during surgery and endocarditis (an inflammation of the inner layer of the heart) following surgery. However, research has shown that removing an infected tooth prior to cardiac surgery may increase the risk of major adverse outcomes, including risk of death prior to surgery. The researchers have therefore recommended an individualized analysis of the expected benefit of dental extraction prior to cardiac surgery.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Most everyone knows that a daily flossing helps promote healthy teeth and gums, but that may be just the tip of the iceberg. Research suggests that th...
How does bad oral health affect someone with heart disease?
Periodontal disease may make your heart condition worse. It is also possible that, with certain hear...
What dental procedures no longer require antibiotics?
The American Heart Association advises dentists that they do not need to give antibiotics prior to t...
Is There a Link Between My Heart and My Teeth?