Can visiting a dentist regularly lower my risk of heart disease?

While there is no conclusive research that a healthy mouth mean a healthy heart, studies indicate that severe gum disease may be associated with several other health conditions such as heart disease, diabetes or stroke. However, saying that two conditions are associated is not the same as saying that one causes the other. Talk to your dentist about your overall health, especially if you have had any recent illnesses or have any chronic conditions. At home, practice good oral hygiene by always brushing your teeth twice a day with an ADA-accepted fluoride toothpaste, replacing your toothbrush every three or four months or sooner if the bristles are frayed, flossing once a day between the teeth and by remembering to eat a balanced diet and to limit between-meal snacks.
Research in women suggests that visiting a dentist routinely (twice a year) can help reduce the risk for heart problems. Research shows that older women who visit the dentist routinely are one-third less likely to develop heart disease compared to those who did not visit their dentist.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

The Surprising Link Between Dental Hygiene and Heart Health
After undergoing periodontal surgery, comedian and television personality Whoopi Goldberg returned to her seat on The View and admitted to the public ...
What type of toothbrush should I use if I have heart disease?
Oral infections have been associated with heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and pneumonia. Because of...
Can my dentist screen me for heart disease?
Because dentists have many tools in their office and have access to a large number of people, they a...
Is There a Link Between Oral Health and Heart Disease?