What type of toothbrush should I use if I have heart disease?

Oral infections have been associated with heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and pneumonia. Because of this, decreasing the risk of oral infections is important. The American Diabetes Association says using a soft-bristled toothbrush with rounded ends is less likely to hurt your gums. Damage to your gums could allow organisms to get into your bloodstream through a cut or sore. This could lead to heart problems such as endocarditis. Some people even use an extra-soft bristled brush.

The best way to use a soft toothbrush is to angle it right up against the gum line and use gentle, small strokes back and forth on both the front and back sides of your teeth and the gums themselves. Brushing the top of the tongue can also improve your breath by removing germs that tend to congregate there. Because the bristles wear out and bend over time, it's best to get a new brush after three or four months.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

The Surprising Link Between Dental Hygiene and Heart Health
After undergoing periodontal surgery, comedian and television personality Whoopi Goldberg returned to her seat on The View and admitted to the public ...
What do dentists do differently if I have a heart condition?
Dentists have been advised by the American Heart Association to give antibiotics before procedures t...
What should I do before having dental work if I have a heart problem?
Jonathan B. Levine, DMDJonathan B. Levine, DMD
If you have any heart-related problems (mitro-valve prolapse, heart murmurs, congenital heart de...
Is There a Link Between Oral Health and Heart Disease?