What type of toothbrush should I use if I have heart disease?

Oral infections have been associated with heart disease, diabetes, stroke, and pneumonia. Because of this, decreasing the risk of oral infections is important. The American Diabetes Association says using a soft-bristled toothbrush with rounded ends is less likely to hurt your gums. Damage to your gums could allow organisms to get into your bloodstream through a cut or sore. This could lead to heart problems such as endocarditis. Some people even use an extra-soft bristled brush.

The best way to use a soft toothbrush is to angle it right up against the gum line and use gentle, small strokes back and forth on both the front and back sides of your teeth and the gums themselves. Brushing the top of the tongue can also improve your breath by removing germs that tend to congregate there. Because the bristles wear out and bend over time, it's best to get a new brush after three or four months.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

how does c-reactive protein ( crp ) affect oral and heart health ?
C-reactive protein (CRP), a type of protein within the body, is a risk marker for heart disease ...
is there a link between my heart and my teeth ?
Although it is has not yet been scientifically proven, it is thought that impaired oral health ...
does eliminating dental infections lower heart problem risk ?
There is no proof that eliminating dental infections can reduce the risk of developing heart problem...
is there a link between oral health and heart disease ?