Does drinking soda harm oral or heart health?

Drinking soda can have a negative effect on our bodies. Soda pop, like other sugary foods, can contribute to tooth decay, by providing bacteria with a fermentable carbohydrate. 

For heart health, the biggest concern with consumption of soda is its link to an unhealthy increase in body weight. Maintaining a healthy weight, through good nutrition and physical activity, is important in the prevention of heart disease.
Some research has found that drinking soda is linked to  tooth decay in older and younger people. It has also been linked to obesity, which is also a risk factor for heart disease. Drinking soda or soft drinks is known to lead to obesity, and people who drink these beverages may be less likely to exercise. Better choices are milk, fruit juices, and water.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Most everyone knows that a daily flossing helps promote healthy teeth and gums, but that may be just the tip of the iceberg. Research suggests that th...
Can my heart disease affect my dental treatment?
If you have heart disease, you also have a higher risk of heart infection. That means precautions mu...
Are antibiotics safe for people with heart problems before dental work?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Prophylactic antibiotics have routinely been prescribed for people undergoing dental work who also h...
Is There a Link Between My Heart and My Teeth?