How does oral health affect heart disease?

The relationship between heart disease and oral health is unclear, but there is evidence to suggest that they oral health may affect heart health. Certain bacteria that cause periodontal disease have been found in arterial plaques that cause heart attacks. It is possible that these bacteria enter your bloodstream from the periodontal tissues and then make their way to your heart. On top of that, bacteria found in your mouth that cause gum inflammation may also cause inflammation in other parts of your body -- both of which could increase the risk of a heart attack. Before any definite conclusion can be made, more research will need to be done.
Gum disease is associated with several health conditions such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Both heart disease and gum disease share common risk factors, such as smoking and diabetes, which play a role in the development of both diseases. However, current scientific evidence does not establish a direct cause and effect relationship between the two.
Poor dentition can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. It is thought there is an inflammatory component that can contributes to irritation of heart artery linings. This is because your mouth naturally has bacteria that can cause inflammation.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

is there a link between oral health and heart disease ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
It's possible that taking care of your oral health can help in taking care of your heart health. Th...
can my dentist screen me for heart disease ?
Systemic diseases, those that affect the entire body, may first be noticed in your mouth and be foun...
why are infected teeth removed before cardiac surgery ?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Dental extraction of abscessed or infected teeth is often performed to decrease the risk of infectio...
how do i teach my kids good hygiene habits ?
The consequences of poor hygiene habits often aren’t immediately apparent, so it’s tough for childre...