How does oral health affect heart disease?

Gum disease is associated with several health conditions such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes. Both heart disease and gum disease share common risk factors, such as smoking and diabetes, which play a role in the development of both diseases. However, current scientific evidence does not establish a direct cause and effect relationship between the two.
Poor dentition can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. It is thought there is an inflammatory component that can contributes to irritation of heart artery linings. This is because your mouth naturally has bacteria that can cause inflammation.
The relationship between heart disease and oral health is unclear, but there is evidence to suggest that they oral health may affect heart health. Certain bacteria that cause periodontal disease have been found in arterial plaques that cause heart attacks. It is possible that these bacteria enter your bloodstream from the periodontal tissues and then make their way to your heart. On top of that, bacteria found in your mouth that cause gum inflammation may also cause inflammation in other parts of your body -- both of which could increase the risk of a heart attack. Before any definite conclusion can be made, more research will need to be done.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

The Surprising Link Between Dental Hygiene and Heart Health
After undergoing periodontal surgery, comedian and television personality Whoopi Goldberg returned to her seat on The View and admitted to the public ...
Can people who smoke have oral health problems?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
People who smoke can especially have oral health problems. Smoking is bad for health and that includ...
How are links between periodontal and heart disease explained?
At this point, while there is an association between gum disease (or periodontal disease) and heart ...
Is There a Link Between My Heart and My Teeth?