Can my heart disease affect my dental treatment?

If you have heart disease, you also have a higher risk of heart infection. That means precautions must be taken before you receive certain dental treatments. Many dental procedures can leave you susceptible to infection by bacteria. If these bacteria do cause an infection in your mouth, they can also enter your bloodstream and cause complications in other parts of your body as well. This can be extremely dangerous for people with heart disease. To prevent serious complications, you may need to take an antibiotic as a precautionary measure before getting dental treatment. This is often recommended for procedures that involve cutting your gums open.
Many studies show an as-yet-unexplained association between gum disease and several serious health conditions, including heart disease, even after adjusting for common risk factors. Because gum disease is usually painless, you may not know you have it.

If you have heart disease or heart problems, be sure to see your dentist regularly. During these screenings and cleanings, your dentist can check for any early warning signs and offer treatment at an early stage when gum disease is still reversible.

Also, be sure to let your dentist know of your condition and any medications you may be taking so these can be factored into your treatment.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Healthy Teeth, Healthy Heart
Most everyone knows that a daily flossing helps promote healthy teeth and gums, but that may be just the tip of the iceberg. Research suggests that th...
Can visiting a dentist regularly lower my risk of heart disease?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
While there is no conclusive research that a healthy mouth mean a healthy heart, studies indicate th...
Does heart disease risk vary based on oral health problems?
Gerald P. Curatola, DDSGerald P. Curatola, DDS
Absolutely. Many oral health problems result in an inflammatory process that can put you at much gre...
Floss Your Teeth to Prevent Heart Disease