How does C-reactive protein (CRP) affect oral and heart health?

C-reactive protein (CRP), a type of protein within the body, is a risk marker for heart disease and has been found to be elevated in people with periodontal disease.
C-reactive protein has become an important marker for inflammation related to oral health and heart health. Basically oral disease (e.g., gum disease) has been shown to trigger the liver to increase the production C-reactive proteins which have inflammatory effects on the inside lining of blood vessels which leads to atherosclerosis, also known as "hardening of the arteries" which, in turn, can cause blockages of these vessels leading to a heart attack or stroke.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

The Surprising Link Between Dental Hygiene and Heart Health
After undergoing periodontal surgery, comedian and television personality Whoopi Goldberg returned to her seat on The View and admitted to the public ...
Can my dentist help prevent heart problems?
Because many people see their dentist more often than they see their doctor, dentists can give you a...
Can my dentist screen me for heart disease?
Because dentists have many tools in their office and have access to a large number of people, they a...
Is There a Link Between Oral Health and Heart Disease?