How does bad oral health affect someone with heart disease?

Take care of your gums...help your heart? Possibly. The American Heart Association published a Statement in April 2012 supporting an association between gum disease and heart disease.

Gum disease is usually painless so it may be difficult to know you have this problem. The way to prevent this is through good oral health care, including brushing twice a day, flossing daily and eating a well-balanced diet. Seeing the dentist regularly for screenings and cleanings is also important for catching this problem early when it can be treated and reversed.

Not doing so can lead to worsening problems. As gum disease progresses, it can lead to long lasting impact, including loss of teeth.
Periodontal disease may make your heart condition worse. It is also possible that, with certain heart conditions, you may require antibiotics prior to any dental procedure. If you are at risk for developing infective endocarditis, then you may need these antibiotics. Your doctor and dentist will be able to advise you as to whether they are necessary.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

healthy teeth , healthy heart
healthy teeth , healthy heart
most everyone knows that a daily flossing helps promote healthy teeth and gums , but that may be just the tip of the iceberg . research suggests that ...
can my heart disease affect my dental treatment ?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Many studies show an as-yet-unexplained association between gum disease and several serious health c...
can visiting a dentist regularly lower my risk of heart disease ?
Research in women suggests that visiting a dentist routinely (twice a year) can help reduce the risk...
can my dentist help prevent heart problems ?
Because many people see their dentist more often than they see their doctor, dentists can give you a...