How does bad oral health affect someone with heart disease?

Periodontal disease may make your heart condition worse. It is also possible that, with certain heart conditions, you may require antibiotics prior to any dental procedure. If you are at risk for developing infective endocarditis, then you may need these antibiotics. Your doctor and dentist will be able to advise you as to whether they are necessary.
Take care of your gums...help your heart? Possibly. The American Heart Association published a Statement in April 2012 supporting an association between gum disease and heart disease.

Gum disease is usually painless so it may be difficult to know you have this problem. The way to prevent this is through good oral health care, including brushing twice a day, flossing daily and eating a well-balanced diet. Seeing the dentist regularly for screenings and cleanings is also important for catching this problem early when it can be treated and reversed.

Not doing so can lead to worsening problems. As gum disease progresses, it can lead to long lasting impact, including loss of teeth.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

The Surprising Link Between Dental Hygiene and Heart Health
After undergoing periodontal surgery, comedian and television personality Whoopi Goldberg returned to her seat on The View and admitted to the public ...
When should a dentist not use an antibiotic for heart disease?
The American Heart Association has advised dentists to no longer give pretreatment antibiotics prior...
Why are infected teeth removed before cardiac surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Dental extraction of abscessed or infected teeth is often performed to decrease the risk of infectio...
Is There a Link Between My Heart and My Teeth?