Why is radial-artery cardiac catheterization rare in the United States?

Despite its benefits, the radial artery is used in less than 5 percent of cardiac catheterization procedures in the United States. Because the radial artery is smaller than the femoral artery, the procedure can be more technically challenging, and many physicians who trained using the femoral approach are reluctant to change, notes UCLA cardiologist William Suh, M.D.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

What activities should I avoid after cardiac catheterization?
Bernard J. Staller, MDBernard J. Staller, MD
For the first 24 hours after cardiac catheterization (if sedation was used) you may feel sleepy an...
What should I ask my doctor about a recommended cardiovascular test?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The question below can help you start a conversation with your physician/practitioner about recommen...
How Is Cardiovascular Disease Different in Men and Women?
What Causes Coronary Artery Disease?
What Causes Coronary Artery Disease?