Why might I need an electrophysiology study?

An electrophysiological (EP) study, an invasive procedure that tests the heart's electrical system, may be performed for the following reasons:
  • To evaluate a symptomatic patient (a patient having dizziness, fainting, weakness, palpitation, or other symptoms) for a rhythm problem when other noninvasive tests have been inconclusive
  • To locate the source of a rhythm problem
  • To assess the effectiveness of medication(s) given to treat a rhythm problem
  • To evaluate the effectiveness of a pacemaker
  • There may be other reasons for your physician to recommend an electrophysiological study.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

What heart tests are used for children?
Pooja Desai, MDPooja Desai, MD
Non-invasive heart tests we routinely do in children include: Electrocardiogram (EKG), which wil...
What is an echocardiogram for heart problems?
Kushal K. Handa, MDKushal K. Handa, MD
Echocardiography is a test that obtains an image of the structure and motion of the heart using ...
What Should I Ask My Doctor about Heart Disease?
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health