When should I call my doctor after cardiac catheterization?

Contact your doctor after cardiac catheterization if:
  • The arm or leg where the catheter was inserted feels cold or numb.
  • There is bleeding or severe pain at the insertion site, or if bruising, redness or swelling gets worse.
  • You have a fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • You have chest pain or discomfort. If it is severe or not relieved by medication for chest pain, call 911.
Bernard J. Staller, MD
After cardiac catheterization, call your doctor if you have:
  • bleeding from the site (if bleeding occurs, lie down and apply firm pressure about two fingers above the site; call 911 and keep pressure on the site)
  • a temperature greater than 101 degrees Fahrenheit
  • pain that is not relieved by the pain medicine
  • pain, numbness, tingling, or color change in the leg or arm used for the puncture site
  • redness around the site
  • drainage from the site
If you have any questions, call your doctor.
After a cardiac catheterization -- a procedure performed to further diagnose coronary artery disease, valvular heart disease, congestive heart failure, and/or certain congenital (present at birth) heart conditions -- notify your physician to report any of the following:
  • fever and/or chills
  • increased pain, redness, swelling, or bleeding or other drainage from the insertion site
  • coolness, numbness and/or tingling, or other changes in the affected extremity
  • chest pain/pressure, nausea and/or vomiting, profuse sweating, dizziness, and/or fainting

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

What can I expect from an office visit to diagnose cardiovascular disease?
SCAISCAI
The first step in the process of diagnosing and treating cardiovascular disease is a visit with your...
Can heart valve problems be diagnosed through an echocardiogram?
Linda MartinezLinda Martinez
Yes, most valve problems can be diagnosed with a standard echocardiogram called a transthoracic echo...
How Is Cardiovascular Disease Different in Men and Women?
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health