How should I prepare for an appointment to diagnose a heart abnormality?

Prepare for an appointment to diagnose a heart abnormality in stages. First, ask your doctor if you will undergo any tests on this visit, and if so whether you have any restrictions, such as fasting, before a diagnostic test. Second, write down all of your symptoms, how frequent they are, and how they have changed for better or worse. Third, write down all questions you would like to ask, including how your symptoms will be diagnosed and what your treatment options and prognosis are. Fourth, arrange for your doctor to have your medical history and records of recent procedures. Fifth, ask a family member or friend to accompany you to the appointment, as they may ask a question or remember information that you forget.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

What tests do I need before a cardiac catheterization?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
You will need to visit your doctor to have the following done: A review of your health historyA ph...
Can I eat and drink before a transesophageal echocardiogram?
Texas Cardiac Arrhythmia InstituteTexas Cardiac Arrhythmia Institute
You should not eat or drink anything for at least six hours prior to the transesophageal echocardiog...
What Is A C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Test?
What Should I Ask My Doctor about Heart Disease?