How are young people screened for heart disease?

There are clinics where cardiologists screen young adults and athletes for heart disease. The American College of Cardiology (ACC) and other organizations provide doctors with specific guidelines for screening young people for heart disease. Today we know so much more about this problem than we did in the past. With screening, we hope the rate of sudden cardiac death among our younger population will decrease.

Screening tests may include:

• physical exam
  • electrocardiogram EKG
  • genetic testing
  • imaging tests to check for birth defects and heart structure problems

If a doctor thinks a young person has a high risk for heart disease after performing a physical exam, it very important for that person to have a more thorough evaluation and appropriate tests.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

What should I ask my doctor about a recommended cardiovascular test?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The question below can help you start a conversation with your physician/practitioner about recommen...
How do I know if I have a leaky pulmonary valve?
SCAISCAI
In mild to moderate cases, you may not know if you have pulmonary valve leakage, because typically t...
Why Is Heart Disease Harder to Treat in Women?
What Is A C-Reactive Protein (CRP) Test?