How is ischemic heart disease diagnosed?

Several tests are available for your doctor to confirm ischemic heart disease after an initial physical exam and blood tests are complete. The doctor may ask you to walk on a treadmill or to perform some other exercise to conduct a stress test to measure how your heart works during exertion. The doctor may also prescribe one or more of the following:

• electrocardiogram (ECG) to measure the electrical impulses in your heart
  • echocardiogram to view images of the heart
  • computerized tomography (CT) scan to get a visual of the arteries
  • magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA) which checks for blockages in the arteries
  • coronary catheterization - also known as an angiogram - to watch dye flow through the arteries to highlight narrowing and blockage and to open the passages

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

How can calcium affect my risk of atherosclerosis?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
While calcium is an essential building block for the body, calcium can also be used as a marker for ...
What can go wrong in diagnosing hypovolemic shock?
 Hypovolemic shock can be overlooked when basic circulatory measurements seem fairly normal. Blood t...
What's the Most Accurate Heart Disease Test?
What Should I Ask My Doctor about Heart Disease?