How should I care for my incision after cardiac catheterization?

The area where the catheter was inserted during cardiac catheterization may feel and look bruised. There will be a small hole in the skin that feels sore. Once the clear dressing falls off, you can wash this area with soap and water and leave the dressing off. You can cover the small hole with a Band-Aid if that is more comfortable. You will notice a small bump under the skin that may last for several weeks. This is normal and will disappear.
Bernard J. Staller, MD
To care for your incision after cardiac catheterization:
  • Keep dressing in place for 24 hours.
  • When you remove the dressing, cleanse the site gently with mild soap and water and cover with a bandage; no lotions or creams.
  • After 24 hours you may shower.
  • Once the skin has completely healed, bathing in a tub or swimming is allowed.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

How can I cope after being diagnosed with heart disease?
After being diagnosed with heart disease, you may experience a variety of reactions. Denial, ang...
How is cardiovascular infection diagnosed?
Dennis W. Kim, MDDennis W. Kim, MD
Bacterial infections of the heart structures, also known as endocarditis, can sometimes be hard to d...
How Is Cardiovascular Disease Different in Men and Women?
What Tests Are Used to Diagnose Heart Disease in Women?