How can doctors check for a leaky pulmonary valve?

As part of a diagnostic work-up of heart and valve function, your doctor may use echocardiography, which sends sound waves through the heart to make a moving image of your heart and, in some cases, cardiac MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). These tests can measure the size of the heart’s lower right pumping chamber (the right ventricle) and assess pulmonary valve function. Due to the shape of the right ventricle, evaluating its function is more difficult than evaluating function on the left side of the heart, so choosing an experienced, highly trained specialist is important for obtaining the best results.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

How do I know if I have a leaky pulmonary valve?
SCAISCAI
In mild to moderate cases, you may not know if you have pulmonary valve leakage, because typically t...
What happens during an electrophysiology (EP) study?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Typically, an EP study takes 1 to 2 hours. A combined procedure (EP and cardiac ablation) may take 3...
How Is Cardiovascular Disease Different in Men and Women?
Advances in Wireless Health
Advances in Wireless Health