Can a chest x-ray show if I have heart disease?

In cardiac care, x-ray images of the chest help to check for certain heart and lung problems. For example, the x-ray outline of your heart and lungs can show heart enlargement or lung congestion. An x-ray image will not, however, show coronary artery disease.

Don't be surprised if you have more than one chest x-ray during the course of your treatment. Healthcare providers often use chest x-rays to check for complications after heart surgery. They may also use follow-up chest x-rays to check your heart's response to medication. Modern x-ray techniques use very low levels of radiation.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease Diagnosis

What should I ask my doctor about a recommended cardiovascular test?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The question below can help you start a conversation with your physician/practitioner about recommen...
How can calcium affect my risk of atherosclerosis?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
While calcium is an essential building block for the body, calcium can also be used as a marker for ...
What's the Most Accurate Heart Disease Test?
How Is Cardiovascular Disease Different in Men and Women?